Music is MAGIC
Recent studies confirm that what artists and native indigenous cultures have known and practiced for millennia...MUSIC IS MORE THAN WALLPAPER SOUND for parties, social gatherings and holidays. Music has a profound and lasting effect on the brain.
This is important to our discussion of chronic discomfort and unpleasant sensation in the body in a number of ways:
1. MUSIC WORKS ON THE SAME OPIOID RECEPTORS IN THE BRAIN AS SEX AND 'SCREEN TIME'--both of which have been shown to have a powerful impact on how we feel in our bodies.
Just ask anyone who is recently post coital (just had sexy time) how they feel or stop next time you've just done the deed and let the endorphins tell you for themselves.
2. MUSIC IS INCREDIBLY AVAILABLE TO US NOW MORE THAN EVER. We can stream, download and leverage the fact that we can pretty much find anything at any time and have it delivered to us digitally in an INSTANT.
3. EVERYBODY HAS A SONG OR STYLE THEY LOVE if you dig deep enough. Few people out there DON'T have a favorite song. I pity those that truly do not. I don't think I could live without my favorite songs, remixes, bands and DJ sets.
If we are to ever get a handle on our national pill and overdose epidemic, we are going to need to begin to explore ways to get the brain to work with the body NATURALLY to eliminate shitty sensation.
I BELIEVE MUSIC IS MAGIC IN THIS REGARD.
I spent most of 2015 alone on my Biomat (more on my toys in later posts) all day, every day breathing and listening to music. I played violin growing up and one piece in particular saved my butt and brought me back to life more than any others combined.
The Bach "Double" Concerto in D Minor for 2 violins as played by Isaac Stern and Itzahk Perlman got listened to probably close to 600 times over the past 2 years. I literally put it on repeat for hours and then days and then weeks on end listening to every note.
This accomplished 2 things.
1. I got (and still get) goose bumps at certain points in the piece. With each of those goose bump sections, I felt (and still feel) an incredible release of something yummy in my brain. THIS RELIEVED MY PAIN as I detoxed off my 'meds' and pushed my body like a triathlete simultaneously.
IT TOOK ME TO A BETTER PLACE IMMEDIATELY.
At times I cried like a baby for hours releasing decades of sadness that had been stuffed down inside and turned into toxic electrical energy stored in my system (including my cells I believe). SO THIS WAS AN EMOTIONAL DETOX that allowed me to heal through incredible trauma and physical discomfort.
It STILL to this day puts me in my "flow state" which is a fancy way of saying I get in "the zone" very quickly now simply by listening to this piece. Useful if I'm having a chronic flare-up of nasty neurons misfiring in all directions.
2. It actually helped me play my violin LIKE A MASTER without having to practice.
By that I don't mean that I'm any real good at my instrument. What I mean is that when I finally after 2 years in bed decided to pick up my violin in 2016, I was able to play SIGNIFICANTLY better than I had played during my career as a performer for 20 years on stage.
I WAS LITERALLY PLAYING WHAT I HEARD IN MY HEAD without practice. My vibrato, intonation and overall sound were not those of someone who hadn't touched a violin in 5 years!!!
Navy SEALS will tell you that this is a NO BRAINER. They spend a dickshitload of time doing mental work before any operation because if you can see it you can be it. Period. No Joke.
Much more will be said in future about this but for today--please try this at home, work, or stuck in traffic:
FIND A PIECE OF MUSIC THAT YOU LOVE OR USED TO LOVE THAT TAKES YOU INTO YOUR "FLOW STATE" AND LISTEN TO IT A FEW TIMES.
NOTICE HOW IT AFFECTS YOUR BODY.
HAVE A PRIVATE MOMENT WITH YOURSELF LAUGHING OR CRYING OR DANCING OR SHAKING IT ALL OUT. Especially if you're hurting.
Music is probably in my estimation the most immediate and powerful way to hack the brain's pain signals and redirect sensation in a positive direction. It is the pulse that beats at the center of every man, woman and child on our planet.
Tap into that power today and find some magic for yourself. Help the brain help the body and ride your own wave to Happytown. It works. It really does.
I'm here listening to Ray LaMontagne's new jam...
Right beside you all the way!